Is the red liquid in a thermometer poisonous?
Is the red liquid in a thermometer dangerous? In general, the red liquid used in alcohol thermometers is not considered to be dangerous. Unlike mercury, alcohol is not toxic and is not harmful if ingested or inhaled in small amounts.
It is colored alcohol. No, it is not dangerous since it would simply evaporate if the thermometer is broken.
The Bottom Line. A broken mercury-containing thermometer can be toxic if the vapors are inhaled. The risk of poisoning from touching or swallowing mercury from a broken thermometer is low if appropriate clean-up measures are taken.
If it does not contain mercury, the silver substance inside is considered nontoxic and symptoms are not expected if ingested. Other glass thermometers contain a colored liquid that contains alcohol. This liquid can cause irritation or a burning sensation in the mouth that will go away after rinsing with water.
The liquid that is contained within the thermometer may be one of many different substances, but the most common are mercury, toluene (or a similar organic substance), and low-hazard biodegradable liquids.
The mercury will evaporate and can contaminate the surrounding air and become toxic to humans and wildlife. Each thermometer contains about . 5-1.5 grams of mercury.
"Thermometers can potentially harbor bacteria and transmit infection," Tracey Stoll, RN, manager of infection prevention at Santa Clara Valley Medical Center in San Jose, Calif., told Health. "By cleaning the thermometer every time, both before and after use, you are reducing the risk of infection."
If the fluid is silver colored, it is mercury. If it's red, it's alcohol, and if it's blue or green, it's the new environmentally safe fluid. Mercury is a toxic element and when a mercury thermometer is broken, special care must be taken to clean it up.
Try to divert the mercury from cracks and crevices. Use scotch tape, masking tape or duct tape to pick up small beads of mercury. Use a flashlight to detect any remaining beads of mercury. Push the mercury into an envelope and put the envelope, scotch tape, gloves and the broken thermometer into a sealable plastic bag.
Elemental (metallic) mercury is a shiny, silver-colored liquid that's been used to make many different kinds of products, including lots of things used in schools. You might remember it best from its use in glass thermometers. Why is mercury dangerous?
What happens if you swallow a thermometer?
If it is swallowed, like from a broken thermometer, it mostly passes through your body and very little is absorbed. If you touch it, a small amount may pass through your skin, but not usually enough to harm you.
A mercury thermometer can be easily identified by the presence of a silver bulb. (One exception to this is the new fever thermometers containing gallium, indium and tin that also contain a silver bulb but are clearly marked mercury-free.)
Phase-out. As of 2012, many mercury-in-glass thermometers are used in meteorology; however, they are becoming increasingly rare for other uses, as many countries banned them for medical use due to the toxicity of mercury.
Mercury is the only liquid. Except mercury all metals are solids at room temperature. Mercury is used for making thermometer.
Alcohol thermometer and mercury thermometer are two types of thermometers that are composed of a bulb and a marked glass tube. The main difference between alcohol and mercury thermometer is that the bulb of mercury thermometer is filled with mercury whereas the bulb of alcohol thermometer is filled with alcohol.
This type of poisoning is most likely to occur if there is a spill of mercury from a thermometer or other mercury-containing device. Mercury poisoning is often caused by inhaled mercury vapour, especially in places where there is poor ventilation. Symptoms include: tremors.
In nature, mercury is found as a solid in the mineral cinnabar, as well as in natural compounds. This liquid metal is used in thermometers and electronics. Pure liquid mercury gives off toxic vapors.
Blood mercury levels above 100 ng/mL have been reported to be associated with clear signs of mercury poisoning in some individuals (e.g., poor muscle coordination, tingling and numbness in fingers and toes).
Mercury fever thermometers are made of glass the size of a straw, with a silvery-white liquid inside. They are common in many households, schools, and medical facilities.
Clean your thermometer before and after you use it with either rubbing alcohol or lukewarm soapy water, then rinse with cool water. Wipe it dry with a clean cloth or let it air dry. 1.
How do you clean the inside of a thermometer?
Use a cotton swab dipped in alcohol to clean the inside any small crevices. Allow the alcohol to air-dry on the thermometer to effectively kill germs. You can rinse the device under cool water to remove any traces of alcohol, taking care not to wet the electronic elements, such as the display.
Red spirit-filled thermometers provide increased safety and economic pricing. They contain a kerosene-based column with red dye, which is significantly safer than mercury. These thermometers all have 6 to 7mm outer diameters, and the bulbs have equal or smaller diameters than the stems.
When the thermometer is placed in cold water, the molecules slow down, and their attractions bring them a little closer together bringing them down the tube. The red liquid is contained in a very thin tube so that a small difference in the volume of the liquid will be noticeable.
This makes it hard to detect without the use of specialized instruments. A pea-sized drop of mercury that goes undetected can take up to 384 days to fully vaporize. In that amount of time, it can cause severe neurological damage—especially in infants and children. Spilled mercury does not act like most liquids.
At room temperature, exposed elemental mercury can evaporate to become an invisible, odorless toxic vapor. This vapor has a very long life (up to one year) in the air.